Friday, August 20, 2010

STREAK-FREE WINDOWS & MIRRORS ARE THIS EASY!


If you have ever painstakingly tried to wipe off every little streak or smudge from a bathroom mirror, only to have more mysteriously reappear in the morning light, you'll love this discovery!


When I first began cleaning professionally, I mixed ammonia and water as a glass cleaner. It worked very well and was inexpensive. Overtime though, I began to develop vapor burns just inside my nose. I wondered, What else could be damaged by breathing these fumes? I switched to using white vinegar and water for awhile. (I still use that on very grimy, greasy windows or filmy shower doors.) But, I ordered a starter pack of cleaners from Imus Ranch
and nothing I have ever used performs as well as their Greening the Cleaning Citrus Sage Glass & Window Cleaner. Teamed with a lint-free flour sack towel, this combo saves me time and sanity every day.


This is the cleaner I reach for if I'm not sure whether a faucet or door hardware can tolerate the acid level of the vinegar and water cleaner. It contains no alcohol and is mild enough to be trusted on antique mirrors or glassware.

It can be ordered at http://www.imusranchfoods.com/. They offer several other very good cleaning products, as well as yummy chips, salsa, and coffee. Deirdre and Don Imus use the profits for the Imus Ranch, where children with cancer get to play cowboy/cowgirl in a toxin-free environment. You can also order her book, Green This! Greening your Cleaning on the website.


The flour sack towels are available at Wal-mart or on-line (5 for $5). My mom always used these for drying dishes and washing windows. Why change what has worked for that long without fail? They absorb best if you wash them first. The microfiber cloths are fine, but once washed, tend to hold onto lint and leave that behind on a mirror. They also have to have "just right" moisture conditions to work well. Who has time for figuring that out? Not me! Help yourself and help a worthy cause too... it's a win-win situation. You'll also have more reason to see a big smile in that glossy, clear mirror!

1 comment:

  1. I always appreciate a good green cleaning tip. Lint on the glass always bothers me.

    ReplyDelete